Now is a great time to get the position of administrative assistant. But, how do you land such a job in today’s competitive market? One of the best ways to pursue this position is to fully understand the administrative assistant job description.
Of course, you should register with a Toronto job agency to help you narrow your search down to a job that is right for you. However, understanding the job description and meeting the criteria plays a key factor in finding the right job.
An administrative assistant is responsible for a wide range of tasks and is a virtual hub of details about the company. Moreover, an administrative assistant salary is competitive with other carers, such as a medical secretary, and just as rewarding. You will never experience a dull moment with this career path. Following is some advice on key points you should include in your resume to land a job as an administrative assistant.
Administrative Assistant Job Description
Obviously, you need to have a head for business as well as be able to take initiative and work well with others. However, a job as an administrative assistant entails much more. Following is a typical administrative assistant job description:
The duties of the administrative assistant shall include but are not limited to the following:
- Support upper management and fellow employees on a wide array of tasks that are related to communication and organization.
- Be familiar with company policies, procedures, and practices.
- Carry out all duties in a timely, accurate, and professional manner.
- Effectively communicate via email and phone.
- Be able to lead others.
- Be a team player.
- Be able to multitask.
- Typically, reports to the head of the department or upper management.
Responsibilities You May Find in an Administrative Assistant Job Description
- Perform office system administrative duties, such as maintain records and enter data.
- Plan team events.
- Screen and field phone calls.
- Maintain contact database.
- Book and confirm travel arrangements.
- Schedule and organize appointments and meetings.
- Create and maintain an accurate filing system.
- Manage and submit expense reports.
- Order and distribute office supplies.
- Prepare and distribute correspondence, such as letters, faxes, and memos.
- Greet and assist company visitors.
- Generate various reports.
- Prepare and track invoices.
- Attend workshops and take courses to maintain technical/professional knowledge.
- Ensure that equipment is properly used and maintained. Schedule repairs as needed.
- Book conference calls/rooms for meetings.
- Take dictation and minutes of meetings.
- Handle sensitive details in a professional and confidential manner.
- Supervise junior or entry-level.
Skills Required in an Administrative Assistant Job Description
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Professional appearance.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Extensive computer and software training.
- Knowledge of office management procedures.
- Attention to detail.
- High school diploma or equivalent (college degree required in many cases).
- Problem-solving skills.
If you are serious about a career in administrative assistance, you need to possess the above skills and be willing to meet and exceed the job requirements. Be sure to include any relative skills you have on your resume and in your cover letter.
Contact Team Global/MSM if you have further questions about the administrative assistant job description. We are always willing to help you pursue the career of your dreams!