Obviously, everyone wants to make a good impression when interviewing for a job. It’s definitely important to make a good first impression. Do you need some tips on how to dress for a job interview?
In the following, we will provide tips on the best attire for various types of job interviews. Another great way to find the right job is to sign up with a job agency in North York. A reputable job agency will give you advice as well as get you started on your job search.
How to Dress for A Job Interview
The best advice we can give you on proper job interview attire is to dress for the job for which you are interviewing. If you are interviewing for a job at a software company where even the CEO dresses casually, you would not wear a three-piece suit. On the other hand, you would not want to dress down for a job at major cooperation. If in doubt, it does not hurt to ask whoever schedules the interview about their required dress code.
We will provide tips on how to dress for a job interview for females/males for both casual and corporate job interviews. When in doubt, however, it can’t hurt to dress up a little. It’s better to be a bit overdressed than totally underdressed.
Corporate Interview Attire
Men should try to dress conservatively for a corporate job interview. Here are some helpful tips:
- Wear a solid color suit (ie: black, dark gray, navy blue)
- Wear a long-sleeved shirt (white or color coordinated with suit)
- Tie and leather belt
- Socks should be dark and plain.
- Leather shoes, conservative
- Wear little to no jewelry
- Hair should be neat and professional
- Nails should be clean and neatly trimmed
- Do not wear a lot of cologne or aftershave
- Carry a leather briefcase or portfolio containing any documents, etc you may need during the interview.
Dressing for a job interview is a bit trickier for women. You need to consider factors such as whether to wear pantyhose and accessories. As well, women should dress conservatively. Here are some more tips for women:
- Opt for a navy blue, dark gray, or black suit. The skirt should fall just above the knee or below.
- Your blouse must be coordinated with your suit.
- Do not wear a lot of jewelry and nothing too flashy (such as excessive bracelets or large, dangly earrings) As well, do not wear cheap or homemade jewelry.
- Your hair should be neat and professional. An updo is always a great choice.
- Stockings/tights should be neutral
- Your nails should be neatly manicured and clean. No flashy nail art or colors.
- Wear a minimal amount of makeup and light perfume.
- Carry a briefcase or portfolio for any required documentation, etc
Casual Interview Attire
Startup Business Casual
With so many startup companies hiring new recruits, you might notice the dress code is a bit more relaxed. If you opt to wear jeans, make sure they are clean and wrinkle-free. As well, they should not have tears, rips, or flashy designs. You might want to err on the side of business casual to play it safe.
If the required dress code is business casual you do not have to wear a suit. However, it is not a good idea to show up in jeans or leggings. Sneakers and anything you would wear to a club, bar, or gym are also not appropriate.
If you need more advice on how to dress for a job interview, contact Team Global/ MSM. We can provide you with additional advice and help you get started on your career path.