One of the leading questions on a typical job interview is “Why don’t you tell me about yourself?” Sure, this may seem like an easy question, as who knows you better than yourself, right? However, most people tend to go blank or get tongue-tied when faced with this common interview question.
So, how does one answer the time-old question of “tell me who you are, why you want this job, and why I should hire you?” Experts from the leading job agency Misssauaga have provided some helpful tips on the best ways to answer these somewhat intimidating questions.
How to React to “Tell Me About Yourself” Question in a Job Interview
Why Do Interviewers Even Ask This Question?
Before we can advise you on how to answer the tell me about yourself question, you should have some insight as to why interviewers even ask this question in the first place.
Essentially, it helps them transition their way to the actual interview process. It helps break up the initial small talk and set the tone for the interview. They can use your answer to “tell me about yourself” to figure out how they wish to proceed with the interview.
Obviously, your answer to the question will help the interviewer get to know you and get a general idea as to why you are the ideal candidate for the job. Basically, you are demonstrating your ability to communicate effectively and clearly while maintaining a professional appearance.
Tips for Answering “Why Don’t You Tell Me A Bit About Yourself”
- Remain Professional: While you might want to share some personal details to give the employer some insight into your soul, it is best to keep professional decorum at all times.
- Tweak Your Answer to Fit the Company and Job at Hand: The main reason why employers ask this is that they want you to tell them why you are the right person for the job. Tailor your answer to suit the specific job and company for which you are being interviewed. It always pays to do some research about the company so you sound knowledgeable as well as invested in the position.
- Keep it Short: As with any question during an interview, you do not want to ramble on endlessly when answering a question. Just give information that is relevant to the job and the company. Experts say that your answer should range somewhere between one and two minutes.
- Do not Simply Rehash Your Resume: Obviously, they have already read your resume if they called you for an interview. You may enhance or embellish certain aspects of your resume, but do not just recite it back to the interviewer.
- Remain Positive: Keep a positive attitude and do not bad-mouth your former employer. This is your only chance to make a lasting impression, so you want to remain positive, professional, and upbeat at all times.
- Stick to a 2-part answer: A good practice for answering “tell me about yourself” is to tell them 1) why and how you are qualified for the position and 2) what can you bring to the position. This will help you provide the relevant informant that they are seeking in a candidate.
Team Global / MSM will gladly help you with the interview process. We will assist you every step of the way. Call us today to set up an initial consultation.