In today’s modern world, it is not often that one has to print out a letter for professional or personal correspondence. In fact, most people are not even sure what a normal letter format would be.
In this blog, we will discuss how to compose a normal professional letter. This will help you apply job in Toronto as well as to how to write a professional letter for business purposes.
Normal Letter Format for Printed Professional Letters
Printer letters are most frequently reserved for things such as cover letters for jobs or educational purposes, legal correspondence, letters of resignation for employment, recommendations letters for employment, and other such professional correspondence. As the majority of communication is done via email today, not everyone knows how to compose such a formal letter. It is best to use a template for a letter in these situations.
Proper formatting is the key to such correspondence. Formatting is crucial when sending a hard copy of a professional letter as appearance is crucial as the letter needs to look good as well as fit on the page(s) properly. Here are some tips on how to write a formal business letter as well as an example of a formal letter format.
Reasons for writing a formal letter:
Following are some reasons to write a professional letter:
- Letter of recommendation
- Reference letter
- Letter of resignation
- A formal request for medical leave
- Cover letter for work or school
- Job letter offer
- Complaint letter
- A formal request for a refund, etc
- Business correspondence
- Legal matters
- Appointment letter
- And so on
Tips for Normal Letter Format
- Be sure to properly address/greet the person to whom the letter is addressed. IE: Dear Sir or Madam.
- Be sure to include the purpose of the letter
- Be concise in your writing. Do not ramble on. A formal letter requires to be brief and to the point. Express the reason for the letter in the first paragraph.
- Keep the tone of the formal letter light, polite and professional. Be kind and make sure not to come across as harsh or impolite.
- Use proper formal letter formatting.
- Address the recipient by their proper name and title.
- Address the letter properly. Check the address to be sure it will get to the proper location and department.
- Make sure the date of the letter is correct,
- Express gratitude in the closing of the formal letter. IE: Thank you for your consideration in this matter.” or “Thank you for your time.”
- Use a formal closing for your letter such as “Sincerely.”
- If mailing the letter, be sure to use the correct postage.
- Ensure that all the necessary documents, if any, are enclosed in the letter.
- Be sure to sign the letter with your full name and title.
- Proofread your letter for typos including spelling and/or grammatical errors. You can read it aloud, have another person such as a friend or co-worker review the letter, and use grammar and spell-check programs or apps if composing the letter on a computer.
Sample Formal Letter Format
Your contact information
Body of the letter
Paragraph 1: Greeting and state the purpose of the professional letter
Paragraph 2: Provide specific details and information
Paragraph 3: Restate the purpose of the professional letter and thank the recipient for their time
If you need more advice on the normal letter format, consult Team Global / MSM. We can assist you with composing a cover letter, updating your resume, and finding the right job for your needs. Call us today to get started on your career path.